Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pop Can Line Drawing

This went a lot better than I expected. Seeing last year's pop cans made me very nervous to do this project. But in the end, it wasn't nearly as difficult as I had imagined it would be. I think that it was a  successful piece (it better have been considering how long it took me to draw) since I honestly went into the project thinking that I couldn't do it. Once I just started drawing and stopped worrying about it being perfect, I think that my project actually improved. At the start, I kept trying to draw from memory and was focusing too much on the overall picture. That certainly did not work. I started to look at the pop can more frequently and that helped a bit, however, the "breakthrough" was when I was told to just focus on the lines. When I looked at the can as a series of lines, it became much easier to draw. If I was to do this again, I would want to be able to spend more time on it, especially the top of the can. I would also want to do some shading to make it stand out more.The most difficult part of this project was definitely drawing the top of the can and the pull tab. The image was flattened and not a bunch of lines which made it extremely hard to draw. Even with the finished project, I couldn't get the size and shape of the pull tab right. This piece really taught me that I can learn to draw. It seemed impossible at the start, but through baby steps, the piece began to come together and I am very happy with the final result.

No comments:

Post a Comment